Parent Involvement Policy
Loma Vista Elementary School agrees to implement the following statutory requirements:
- Loma Vista Elementary School will jointly develop with parents and distribute to parents of participating children, a Parental Involvement Policy that the school and parents of participating children agree on.
- Loma Vista Elementary School will notify parents about the Parental Involvement Policy in an understandable and uniform format and, to the extent practicable, will distribute this policy to parents in a language the parents can understand.
- Loma Vista Elementary School will make the Parental Involvement Policy available to the local community.
- Loma Vista Elementary School will periodically update the Parental Involvement Policy to meet the changing needs of parents and the school.
- Loma Vista Elementary School will adopt the school-parent compact as a component of its Parental Involvement Policy.
- Loma Vista Elementary School agrees to be governed by the following statutory definition of parental involvement, and will carry out programs, activities and procedures in accordance with this definition:
Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring—
(A) Parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
(B) Parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
(C) That parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
Loma Vista Elementary School
Parent Involvement Policy
October 12, 2012
(D) The carrying out of other activities, such as those described in section 1118 of the ESEA.
Loma Vista Elementary School will implement required school parental
involvement policy components as follows:
1. Loma Vista Elementary School will take the following actions to involve
parents in the joint development and joint agreement of its Parental Involvement Policy and its school wide plan, if applicable, in an organized, ongoing, and timely way under section 1118(b) of the ESEA:
Gather and disseminate to parents for review the following materials: District wide
Parental Involvement Policy, the School’s Parental Involvement Policy, the school-parent
compact, and Parent Notices from the Table on page 45 of the Title I, Part A Non-
Regulatory Guidance. These materials will be disseminated to parents at regular Title I
parent meetings, School Site Council meetings, and parent/teacher conferences.
Written and oral input from parents will be solicited through Title I parent meetings,
School Site Council meetings, parent/teacher conferences, school newsletters, school
web site, and other regular written communications with parents.
2. Loma Vista Elementary School will take the following actions to distribute to parents of participating children and the local community the Parental Involvement Policy:
- The School Parental Involvement Policy will be distributed to parents at Title I parent meetings.
- The policy will be posted on the school web site.
- Parents of new participating students will receive the policy upon registration if eligible for Title I.
3. Loma Vista Elementary School will periodically update its Parental Involvement Policy to meet the changing needs of parents and the school through:
- monthly School Site Council meetings
- regular Title I meetings
- PTA meetings
- General School meetings
4. Loma Vista Elementary School will convene an annual meeting to inform parents of the following:
- That Loma Vista Elementary School participates in Title I,
- The requirements of Title I
- Of their rights to be involved as outlined in Table B of Title I, Part A Parental Involvement Non-Regulatory Guidance (page 45), Section 1118; the school-parent compact, Appendix C, page 51 of the Title I, Part A Parental Involvement Non-Regulatory Guidance, the district wide parental involvement policy, and the school’s parental involvement policy and
- Meetings will be held at various and convenient times to encourage parents to attend. Parents will be notified about meetings through school memos, newsletters, the web page, and the automated phone system.
5. Loma Vista Elementary School will hold a flexible number of meetings at varying times, and may provide transportation, child care, and/or home visits, paid for with Title I funding as long as these services relate to parental involvement:
To encourage parents to attend these meetings, the school will offer training to parents to improve student success and achievement. In situations that prevent parents from coming to the school for meetings, school personnel may make home visits or arrange to meet the parents at a mutually convenient time off campus.
Loma Vista Elementary School will provide information about Title I programs to parents of participating children in a timely manner through the automated phone system, memos, newsletters, and the web page.
Loma Vista Elementary School will provide parents of participating children with a description and explanation of the curriculum in use at the school, the forms of academic assessment used to measure student progress, and the proficiency levels students are expected to meet through:
- the annual Title I parent meeting
- regular parent/teacher conferences
- Title I meetings and Family Nights throughout the year
(a) If requested by parents, Loma Vista Elementary School will provide parents of participating children opportunities for regular meetings to formulate suggestions and to participate, as appropriate, in decisions relating to the education of their children, and respond to any such suggestions as soon as practicably possible:
- through prearranged meetings with the Title I Coordinator(designee)
- through meetings with the student’s teacher which may include the Title I Teacher, the principal, and other staff as appropriate
(b) Loma Vista Elementary School will submit to the district any parent comments if the school wide plan under section (1114)(b)(2) is not satisfactory to parents of participating children:
- Parents may submit comments in writing regarding the school wide plan to their child’s teacher, the Title I Coordinator, the principal, or the appropriate department within South Whittier Unified School District.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR HIGH STUDENT ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT
1. Loma Vista Elementary School will build the schools’ and parent’s capacity for strong parental involvement in order to ensure effective involvement of parents and to support a partnership between the school, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement through the following activities described below:
- parent training
- Family Nights
- Parental access to the Teacher/Parent Resource library and other resources such as web sites, parent organizations, etc.
- Parent Partnership
2. The school will incorporate the school-parent compact as a component of its School Parental Involvement Policy:
- The school-parent compact will be a part of the School Parental Involvement Policy on the school’s web page.
- During regular parent/teacher/student Back to School Night, the school-parent compact will be completed and signed by the teacher, the parent(s), and the student.
- As needed, the school-parent compact will be included in school newsletters along with the School Parental Involvement Policy.
3. The school will, with the assistance of the district, provide assistance to parents of children served by the school in understanding topics such as the following:
- the State’s academic content standards,
- the State’s student academic achievement standards,
- the State and local academic assessments including alternate assessments,
- the requirements of Title I,
- how to monitor their child’s progress, and
- how to work with educators:
Parents will receive training and necessary information on the topics above through:
PTA workshops, Kid Friendly Standards, School-Parent Intervention Compact, highlights of the standards, list of web sites, school sponsored trainings and workshops such as Science Night and Math Night.
4. As appropriate, the school will, with the assistance of the district, provide materials and training such as literacy training and using technology to help parents work with their children to improve their children’s academic achievement and to foster parental involvement, by:
Holding regular Title I meetings, Family Nights, and encouraging parental participation in the HOT Parent conference
5. The school will, with the assistance of the district and parents, educate its teachers, pupil services personnel, principals and other staff, in how to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners, in the value and utility of contributions of parents, and in how to implement and coordinate parent programs and build ties between parents and schools, by:
Encouraging staff to attend parental involvement workshops and conferences, web-based learning, and site staff development.
6. The school will, to the extent feasible and appropriate, take the following actions to ensure that information related to the school and parent- programs, meetings, and other activities, is sent to the parents of participating children in an understandable and uniform format, including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand:
Upon identification of parental need for information in another language or in another format, the school will take steps to ensure that the parent request is fulfilled. All communication is already sent home in English and Spanish.